Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Dia 13

Hola Hola!

It seems like no matter what country I'm in, Wednesday is Wednesday. I'm looking forward to this weekend and having some more relaxing time at the beach. We bought tickets today to go to Manuel Antonio, a supposedly very nice beach (although it's supposed to be very tourist-y). The hostel we're staying at (Pura Vida Hostel) cost us $15 a person per night-including breakfast, internet, and a kitchenette. You find a better deal and I'll give you the difference. I'm so excited!


Today I got to sleep in a bit. We had a field trip to the Museo de Oro (Gold Museum) for History Class and had to be at the bus stop at 9. We have another field trip tomorrow so another day of more shut-eye...yes! We met our professor in downtown San Jose where we proceeded to see a most peculiar site. A family was hanging out with the abundance of nasty dirty pigeons-okay, not so weird, right? Just wait...the mom puts nuts on the little girl's head and a flock of pigeons fly towards her with one or two landing on her head and eating nuts off it. Can you imagine how many germs are on that poor girl's head now? I would be scrubbing my head for days. Ick.


We stopped quickly to check out the Café del Teatro Nacional (pictured on left) and Mercado Central; both of which were constructed in the 1880's and were sights to see. At the Mercado Central, I found a piece of artwork (with a horse on it of course) for 7700 colones, or about 15 dollars. Well, being my frugal self I wasn't about to pay that much so later on in the day I came back with some program buddies and one of them bartered for me (as I had before and she wouldn't take my lower price-sorry US dad, I tried your tricks but I gotta perfect them still). We got it down to 7000! I'll take that. I'm glad to finally have a tangible thing from a Costan Rican artist...all the pastries and other foods I've been eating won't exactly be remembered years from now...


Trying on animal masks at an exhibit in the museum
After our field trip, my Spanish class had to return to school for a 3 hour lecture, to our dismay. It ended up being fine-I continue to like class, it's just a matter of learning for three hours gets a little boring by the end. We had to get to know a partner and explain them to the class using certain structures in Spanish. I had a grand old time-my professor is a goofball which fits me just fine. I go along with the jokes and try to make my own jokes to make class fun...at least for myself. After class, we had "intramural" fútbol. I have that in quotes because it's mostly a bunch of us running around kicking at a ball and having a grand old time-which is exactly was it was. It's at an indoor soccer "facility" (it's tiny) but WOW is the property gorgeous. I'll try to get a picture of it next time I go to play. There's a pool and you have to go over this little bridge that stretches over a rocky stream to get to the facility which is surrounded by palm trees. Rough life, I know. 


Oh! I almost forgot. I had pizza today...it was FANTASTIC! You don't realize how much you miss that stuff until you can't just open the fridge or walk to Little Caesars for your pizza fix. Man, what I would do for a Little Caesars breadsticks and stuffed-crust pizza...


Buenas Noches!


Love, 
Kristin

No comments:

Post a Comment